- 4 tbsp ghee, butter, or oil of choice
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 heaping tsp of minced or grated garlic
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup of butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE PITA CHIPS
- 12 mini whole wheat pitas or 2-3 loaves of whole wheat pita bread torn into pieces
- olive oil
- sea salt
- ¼ – ½ tsp garlic powder (depending on how much garlic you like)
- Melt the ghee/butter in a large pot. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, potatoes, and butternut squash. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, and spices. Add salt and pepper. Cook for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or blend in a blender (in batches). Adjust the salt level to your liking.
- For the pita chips, preheat oven to 450°F. Place the mini pitas or torn pieces on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil (both sides of the pita bread). Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder. Bake for about 6-8 minutes until browned and crisp. Serve with lentil soup.
(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)