- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 pounds | 3kg beef short ribs (fat trimmed)
- 4 chiptole peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (plus the adobo sauce)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 4 cloves garlic, minced)
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup beef broth / stock
- Warm corn tortillas
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Trim as much visible fat as possible from each rib (optional but helps lessen the fat content). Brown the ribs in batches until browned on both sides (about 3-4 minutes each side, per batch). Transfer the browned ribs to a 6 litre slow cooker.
- In a large jug, combine the chipotles, chipotle sauce, onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, lime juice, vinegar, bay leaves, cumin, salt, and broth together. Whisk well and pour over the ribs. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low, until the meat is falling off the bone. Allow the ribs to cool slightly in the sauce.
- Remove the ribs from the sauce. Remove any excess fat from the ribs; discard the bones and shred the meat. Using a metal spoon, skim the fat from the surface of the sauce in the slow cooker and discard. Mix the sauce into the meat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the meat and sauce into warm corn tortillas and serve with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, the avocado slices and sour cream (or Crema).
For Oven Method:
- Once browned, place ribs in 2 large aluminium lined baking pan (or heavy based casserole pot). In a large jug, combine the chipotles, chipotle sauce, onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, lime juice, vinegar, bay leaves, cumin, salt, and broth together; cover baking pan and slow cook in the oven at 175°C | 350°F for 4 hours or until falling off the bone.
(Visited 7,454 times, 1 visits today)